About BTPA

We are a non-profit organisation run by Bowen Therapists for Bowen Therapists. We outline standards that need to be met by members to work professionally within new legislastion and regulations.

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Eating Disorder Case Study

February is a month dedicated to offering information and support for eating disorders, in order to improve understanding of a destructive problem.

Eating disorders, such as anorexia and bulimia, are defined as psychological disorders characterised by abnormal or disturbed eating habits. Although more common in females, it is thought that 10-15% of people with eating disorders are male.

  

Eating Disorder Awareness Week ironically falls during London Fashion Week, which always sparks the size zero debate

Recently, there has been a disturbing growing trend among teenage girls longing for a ‘thigh gap’. Many young girls are obsessed with achieving thighs that don’t touch at the top of their legs, like presenter Alexa Chung and model Cara Delevingne.

One girl has set up a Twitter page dedicated to Cara Delevingne’s ‘thigh gap’.

Cara Delevingne

This trend of worshipping ‘thinspirations’ can lead to an even more worrying psychological problem like an eating disorder.

There is one case in which Bowen has helped a woman who had been suffering with an eating disorder for nearly 30 years.

‘Mrs K’ said: “I have been having Bowen Therapy now for about 18 months after a chance meeting in the local health shop.

“At the time I was searching for remedies in a very depressed state and finding it difficult to establish which one of my ailments was causing me the most distress at that time! I had been having very painful periods, lots of migraine type headaches and IBS.


“I felt in my own mind that the root of all my problems lie in my emotional state.”

Although Bowen is known for its physical benefits, it is mentally relaxing and very effective for any stress management and frustration.

She said: “I was very stressed and at the times when I seemed to have little stress in my life, I would soon find something!

“I had suffered from an Eating Disorder from the age of 14 and, at 43, despite recently having effective counselling for the first time, still felt that there were areas where I was ‘stuck’ emotionally.”

The Bowen Technique is a natural, drug-free, non-invasive, complementary therapy that can be a gentle yet effective release of pain.

Rather than 'making' the body change, Bowen 'asks' the body to recognise the ailment and make the changes it requires. It works ‘with’ the body as opposed to working ‘against’ it.

During the 30-60 minute treatment, the Bowen practitioner makes small, rolling, movements over muscles, tendons, ligaments and soft tissue at precise points on the body, using only the amount of pressure appropriate for that individual.

 

No hard-tissue manipulation or force is needed or used.

Between each set of moves, the body is allowed to rest for a few minutes, to allow it to absorb the information it has received.

Mrs K continued: “Bowen, although a physical therapy, has helped me more in an emotional way, to cope with my Eating Disorder.

“I am learning to see life as more of a series of challenges rather than problems, and I try to applaud myself for trying something even if it doesn’t work out, rather than feeling a constant failure.

“I am happier to ask for help if I need it, rather than feeling that is another admission of failure and most of all, I can love and respect myself.

“I no longer have an eating disorder dominating my life.


“Yes – it is still there ‘waiting in the wings’ but I am in control of it.
It is safe to be ME without hiding behind it.


“It is safe to slowly let it out of my life and to allow myself to be happy and live a fulfilling life with fun, laughter and enjoyment.”

Read the rest of Mrs K’s testimonial here.

If you are interested in how Bowen Therapy can help with physical or mental stress visit the website to find a Bowen therapist near you or call 0844 561 7173.

No comments:

Post a Comment